Emotional and physical challenges of living with a rare disease.

My photo
Hello I have a rare disease called Carpenter Syndrome. Living with a rare disease I have seen that it comes with physical and emotional challenges. My blog mainly focuses on working through some of my thoughts of living with a rare disease to help me heal from some things. I also hope that those who have rare diseases who read my blog will find it helpful and encouraging.

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Emotional challenges with having skeletal deformities.

 One of the main things that is caused from my rare disease is that it causes skeletal deformities through out my body.  Growing up I would get a lot of people who would stare and it always bothered me.  My mom always told me that some people would just stare out of curiosity but there were times when I still hated that people would stare.  I think one of the main reasons of why it always bothered me was because I got bullied by some of my peers when I was younger which affected how I viewed myself at a young age.  I think one thing that is important for others to remember is that people who have physical deformities most likely would rather that you ask them or the caregiver your questions instead of staring.  Personally I know that I am open to talking to others about my rare disease and will try and answer questions the best that I can about my disorder to help educate others about it.  My disease and other factors has also caused me to be heavier as I started gaining more weight around my early teen years.  

I have always tried my best to try and do things to lose weight and be at a healthier weight but it has always been something that I struggle with and a topic that certain doctors will continue to bring up of how my BMI is to high.  Sometimes I wish that doctors would take into consideration that my body is structured differently.  MyBMI is probably never going to be what is considered normal for a female my age or height as I have always been short as well.  Constantly hearing that you need to lose more weight and that your BMI is to high has caused me to have low self esteem and have a negative relationship with food.  People with Carpenter Syndrome also tend to carry more weight in through their trunk and forearms as well as have bigger thighs which can also play apart with their weight.  

I am working on trying to love my body more but it is a work in progress as some days it is easier to do and other days I struggle with it more.  Having limitations and having to modify things due to my skeletal deformities is something that has also been a challenge to work through which I will address more in my next blog post.  Sincerely Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment